Erica online

Sunday, August 14

Parenting Pointers...

When I became a parent the first time I became more fascinated with God, and spirituality than I had been before. When you look at your baby and are hit with a rush of love that you know didn't originate from you, you realize in a moment the "reality" of creation. Suddenly God doesn't seem so theoretical. One look in your baby's eyes and the existence of a creator filled with love just seems to make sense.

I have a friend who recently had a baby and she is experiencing some of this revelation right now. It is very cool to watch, and it has set me to thinking about other things I've learned about God through parenting my children. Here are my thoughts on the matter:

Things Parenting Has Taught Me About God

1. Even when I don't obey I am still loved. (Even if the instructions need repeating)

2. When I fail, God is not angry with me. He heart breaks for me, and He offers words of encouragement, not words of judgement.

3. God wants the best things for me and nothing less. He doesn't give grudgingly.

4. Every success I experience is met with joyous celebration. He is proud of me!

5. He talks about me to his friends.

6. God gets excited about my future, and smiles about the surprises which are in store for me.

7. God enjoys my company. Just watching me learn new things can be a joy to him.

8. When I fight with my brothers and sisters, He will pull me away, and teach me what love really looks like. Even then, I am still loved.

9. God never thinks about what I don't know or what I can't do. He is proud of where I am. He has faith in my potential and loves teaching me new things.

10. God doesn't resent me coming to him yet again. He actually loves to kiss my boo-boos and cuddle me.

Loving my children has taught me so much about the nature of the God who invented parenting. It has opened my eyes to the unconditional love offered to me, which I have often strived to earn.
If my children questioned my love for them as often as I have questioned God's love for me, I would be broken hearted. One of my major goals as a parent is to be certain that my children feel loved. Could the God whose very being is made of love, want anything less for me?

God the Father has always offered unconditional love, He is the perfect parent, I am just learning how to be a better kid....
"I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." And he took the children in his arms, put his hands on them and blessed them.
Erica at 9:48 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home