Erica online

Saturday, August 20

Free From Judging...

I've been thinking lately about judging being God's domain and not mine.
(Hense yesterday's post about self-righteousness and judgment)

I remember being in church as a kid listening to testimonies of people who had done "bad things" who then found God and His mercy. I wept with joy over a merciful God who could even the worst of sins.

In recent years, I've known people who have been the victim of "bad things" done by people. There has been no justice for the wrongs done to the victims yet the offenders can still find mercy and forgiveness from God. Knowing the damage that was done without natural redemption, I do not understand God's mercy for the sinner when the victimized still suffer.

At times like this, the old testament law appeals to me. Retribution might ease the pain of the victim a little, at the very least it would make more "sense" to me. With that said, I love the God of mercy.

Mercy, redemption and justice are still a mystery to me. My limited understanding in these areas reminds me again that God's ways are higher than mine. There is freedom in this for me. I can be free of judging others based solely on my lack of wisdom (compared to God).

If I had my way, sometimes justice might look more like the Sopranoes than like the act of a forgiving God.
Erica at 10:48 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home