Erica online

Thursday, August 3

Parenting 911...

The other day I was in the store and I saw a little girl walk by with a t-shirt on that said, "Slightly Dramatic!" I laughed and thought to myself that is the shirt I need for Rebecca. That about sums it up.

Sometimes its something to laugh about and other times I have had my fill of the drama and wonder how this kid is going to handle life. To call her sensitive is putting it lightly.

I've done what I can to teach her to cope with hurt feelings a little better and remember not to listen to what other people say. In reality, this is a lesson it can take a lifetime to learn. I should not get so impatient with her moods, her dramatic flair and her sensitivity. After all, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree and in these ways, she is my mini-me.

Perhaps that is why it is so bothersome to me. It reminds me of the things that I don't like about myself. Sometimes I think I should tell us both (Becca and me) to just suck it up!

Why don't I?
I don't want her to lose that sensitive, innocence that is so lovely and draws people to her. She is a safe place for people who need a friend. She tunes in to what other people are feeling and responds appropriately. She is always aware of her surroundings including the subtle nuances that many people miss out on. She can express her own emotions, thoughts and persceptions in a manner that is well beyond her years. There is a lot of good in her that goes right along with the sensitivity. I just want her to stop being so upset as I want to protect her from pain but that is not possible.

So here I sit. Stuck again. Trying to find balance. The only trick I have left up my sleeve is prayer. All I can do is ask God to make me stronger so I can be a better example and teach her how to let God be her strength.
*sigh*
Oh good.
Something easy.
Erica at 1:00 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home