Erica online

Saturday, October 18

I've been thinking about writing, if ever I wanted to write a novel, I would have
to have a great title. Because without a great title, no one will pick up the book in the first place, right?
Artistic expression is important but one must also consider marketing!
(Its always the tortured artist vs. the money-grubbing capitalist pig, isn't it.....ahhh such a natural internal conflict.....hey, there's an idea for a novel!)

Anywho....I was thinking about the titles of some classic novels.
War and Peace
Crime and Punishment
Pride and Prejudice

At first I thought....ahhhh....its the word "and". You gotta have "and in the title and you've got a smash hit right away.
But that in itself won't get you an Oprah's choice book pick!
Would you pay $9.99 (paperback) for "Macaroni and Cheese"? (A classic but not so much in the literary sense) or "Wood and Plastic."

Noooo......because the two nouns must also be concepts.
So now I'm on the look out for really intriguing concepts that grip the imagination so I can put them together and have a fabulous title.
Truth, Light, Hope, Conceit, Harmony, hmmm...how about Hope and Harmony???
I'd read it.
Not really antagonist concepts but its got some alliteration going on, that can't hurt.
Once you get a title, the hard parts over, now I just have to write a brilliant novel and how difficult could that be? Hardy har har...I think I'll go watch t.v.
Erica at 9:21 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home