Erica online

Thursday, January 22

If you don't win the Oscar, does that make you a hack?
If you win silver instead of Olympic Gold, are you a mediocre athlete?
If you have only $50 million and don't make the Forbes top one hundred, are you a failure?

It seems everywhere we look, there is a goal and a system of evaluation. Exams in school, sports tournaments, musical awards shows (yawn).
The problem is, we're all apart of this system, myself included and we're trained to look for the gold star. I love being evaluated, I love the sprint, I have drive and I want to win as much as the next guy.

With parenting...years of training are tossed out the window. Who's evaluating?
There's no sprint to success, its a marathon. I HATE LONG-DISTANCE RUNNING!!!
Is an angel with an Ed McMahon sized cheque going to show up at my door, and say, "God's been watching, well done...here's your $1,000,000,000!!!!"

Somedays its really hard to get motivated because there is end in sight. I'm doing the exact same thing today as I did yesterday. And I'll do it again tomorrow.

I know that its a building process and it takes time to see the results. Its hard to stay motivated to keep building when the goal (and its evaluation) may be a lifetime (literally a lifetime) away.
I'm part of the MTV, McDonald's generatin man. Immediate satisfaction. So patience for the moment I can find, its patience for a lifetime that's tough.

Thanks for letting me rant, I'm brimming with anxiety today. Tomorrow's my dental surgery and I'm freaked out about that too! Prozac anyone?
Erica at 8:11 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home