Erica online

Monday, June 21

On Friday evening my grandpa got to go home to Jesus. It was a happy thing because its what he's wanted for awhile, and it took a while for his body to agree with his spirit.

Often when someone dies, those left behind are left in mourning with regrets, or the pain of loss.

But I'm really blessed because I'm feeling neither of those things. He was a good grandpa, he was kind and really enjoyed the company of his grandchildren. Its always nice to be enjoyed as a child.

My memories of him hold no regrets. I remember him hiding our desserts under the kitchen table. He would sneak up behind us and tip our chairs back while he made a big POP sound to give us a scare. He would show us his stamp collection. I remember eating watermelon and rol kuchen on his front stoop.

I remember all the laughs our family has had at the expense of his driving methods. I remember my cousin and I being late for day camp because he drove over a huge curb and blew a tire. Or my younger cousins praying that Jesus save them while he drove through the mountains. He drove like a maniac but that never bothered him. *chuckle*

To me he's still this tall, gentle man who loved to talk about Jesus, to everyone. As a teenager, granted this could be embarassing but I got over it. I'm glad it wasn't something he got over. He might have annoyed alot of people, but we'll never know how many questioned and searched because my grandpa wasn't afraid to talk about the God he loved so much.

I have no sense of loss because my grandpa was a man who spent his life doing his best to live for God. Now he finally (as he put it)gets to go home and see the God he longed to serve.

I wonder if it'll be awesome for him to see Jesus, and hear the words "well done good and faithful servant". I wonder if he'll have tears of joy. I wonder if his heart will be overwhelmed with knowing the love of a father like he never knew on earth.
I'll bet he'll run to the cross first. And I'll bet he'll harass all the great evangelists throughout history, wanting to talk with them and learn from them, and spend time talking about how important salvation is. He'll have so much in common with so many people.

So I'm not mourning, I'm happy for him and thankful that I got to have such a great grandfather in my life.
I'm a lucky girl.
Erica at 8:07 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home