Erica online

Friday, January 13

Second Time Around...

I know I've said this a thousand times but its so true that I'll say it again...
It is the motivation of the heart that matters more than the behaviour.

If God looks past the facade, then why we do what we do is the thing that matters most.
For eg. reading the Bible...a good thing...but why is the behaviour happening?
Is it to appear "holy"? Is to become smarter than other people? Is it to learn all
the rules and principles to succeed in life? Or is it to get to know the author better?

Once again, I'm learning about the difference between motivation and behaviour:

When I was a teenie-bopper girl, I would wake up at insane hours of the morning to get
ready for school. I would spend hours primping and preening myself before exiting my home.
The effort was done in the hopes that Prince Charming would fall madly in love with me and carry me off into the sunset. That and I wanted people to think I was beautiful because I was really terrified that everyone on the planet thought I was an ugly, heinous beast.

In university, I wanted the best grades so all the primping went out the window. During exam time I wore sweats, no make-up, hair pulled back and glasses...In PUBLIC no less!!!

This sort of carried on into married life and motherhood was a whole new reason to avoid looking in the mirror. I have become very comfortable with a ponytail as "the look".

As my kids are getting older, and my job is becoming more prominent in my life, I find lately I have to dress for meetings, do my hair and put on make-up again. As I do alot of presenting and representing, I have to portray a certain image.

So I have come back to the mirror for the second time around.
However, this time the reflection is something quite different. There are no panic-stricken or fearful eyes staring back at me.
I need to primp again but this time the motivation is different.
I am putting together the image of a confident woman who has something to say, something to offer and things to accomplish.
This time around, its not about what everybody else thinks, its about what is right for me.
From wearing the clothes that I like instead of what is the latest fad to doing my hair the way I want because I already feel pretty rather than because I want to be pretty.

I think its so great when God allows me to re-visit the things of the past, because it reminds me of where I was and helps me see how far I've come.
It might be the same mirror, but the reflection is alot different the second time around!
Erica at 9:15 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home