Erica online

Wednesday, February 1

African Church Tale...

Anyone who grew up in the church environment has heard at one time or other the story of the boy or girl (different versions) who prayed "Oh God don't send me to Africa" and ended up being a missionary in Africa their entire lives.
**Ha! Ha!**

The moral of this story had its twists and turns depending on who was preaching.
Here are some that I remember:
  • God has a sense of humor (hence the *Ha Ha*)
  • God knows better than we do and isn't particularly concerned with what we want
  • God will find ways to test your obedience --so be on guard--
  • If you choose to accept God, you need to be aware that sacrifices will be expected from you
  • When you give your life over to God, you forfeit the right to choose its path

These lessons that were taught about the character of God make Him sound like an insecure bully with control issues. This description of God does NOT line up with the experience of God in my life.

I have experienced mercy, and redemption time and time again. I have seen God take my life and do things with it that I couldn't even have dreamed up. I have been forgiven more times than I care to think about, and have never been hit with a lightening bolt.

In my experience God does care about the desires of my heart. He doesn't wait around until my defenses are down and hit me with some ridiculous expectation that would make me miserable. He knows what I like (better than I do) and cares about that too. He doesn't disregard my wishes and desires.

In fact, I wonder how that story ended: if the person who went to Africa found joy, peace, kindness, acceptance and a destiny in Africa, then I would say God sent them. If not, well.....

What's my point? I'm tired of coming across people (myself included) who have that perception of God because it is not accurate, and does not contain truth. So out with the old and in with the new!

Erica at 3:34 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home