Erica online

Thursday, August 21

I am taking spanish lessons now.
It gives me an opportunity to use my mind which is not totally occupied right now.
Although Veggie Tales is funny, and not nearly as mind-numbing as Barney or Teletubbies,
it doesn't require my FULL concentration to watch an episode for the 687, 594th time!

So now I am memorizing verb conjugations, vocabulary and irregular verbs. Sounds dull and a little nerdy but to me, geeky is spelled F-U-N. Besides the whole point of learning another language is so that you can talk about people behind their backs in front of their faces without them knowing what you're saying. And what's not fun about that???? I gest, I gest.

Last night our assignment was to go to a store (which is run by spanish speaking people) and do some shopping in spanish. That was really hard, since I'm not very good at it yet. So I used humor to preserve my dignity since (in spanish) I have the vocabulary of a 3 year old. I played it cool, and made jokes and goofed off. I did the assignment but not without a little bit of the smart-ass in me surfacing.

On the way home, I was thinking about the kids at the drop-in who behave the way I did. They are soooo annoying.
It is easy to become very irritated with them, and wonder why they don't just do as their told without the extra attitude.
Now, in my class I wasn't swearing or threatening but still, my attitude was less than stellar. It gave me a glimpse into the perspective of some of the teens who "act out", maybe there is something about the lesson that they just don't "get". (like all of it)
Most likely they are feeling as embarassed and incompetant as I was in the store.

So I got a little more than a spanish lesson last night which is cool. I think I have a better perspective about hurting teens so I'll do a better job with the drop-in. I'm sure they'll still annoy the crap out of me, but I may (with some grace from God) handle it better.
Plus, I also learned how to say "shut-up" in spanish which is going to come in real handy!
Erica at 10:02 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home