Erica online

Wednesday, May 26

Many times I've stood on the dock of a deep, cold Manitoba lake and contemplated the consequences of jumping.

It has to be very hot outside for me to jump in without a minor psychological debate about the impending shock that is inevitable with jumping into to the ice cold water.

However, my sense of adventure usually overtakes my reason, and splash, "brrrrrr" beats out common sense.

This isn't because I'm a slow learner. Its because after the initial shock, your body kicks in some high powered adrenaline.

There is a rush, and sense of excitement. There's a sense of exhilaration, as your nervous system sends out blaring alarm signals to your entire body.

And when you get out, you always feel refreshed and alive. Cold. But alive. Searching for a towel. But refreshed.

This is what my job has been for me lately. Before I leave the house when I go to work, I'm just standing on the dock.

It seems this year, the climate is a little slow in heating up the waters, and the shock is a bit harder on my body than it used to be. The warming up process is taking longer, and I feel less resiliant in recovering from the stress of another rush.

I don't know if its time for me to stop jumping in, or if I should just wait for things to warm up again.

The kids at the various programs always bring me life, joy and refreshment in the end. But sometimes, I feel that it takes a toll on my body.
Erica at 9:47 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home