Erica online

Wednesday, August 18

Sometimes when I'm parenting I just need to keep on drilling a lesson in until it takes.
I feel like a broken record talking to a wall. (let the image sink in for a minute, its pretty funny!)

It just seems sometimes, I am saying the same thing over and over and its not sinking in.
This morning, I discovered that maybe repetition isn't as effective as changing tactics. Maybe its not working because I'm wrong. What a concept.

Not that I'm wrong in correcting my kids. They still need to obey me, but my method of teaching was innappropriate and so it wasn't getting through....lemme 'splaine.

Rebecca has been so mean to her sister for the last couple of days. Now I know that Isabella can be an instigator but Rebecca doesn't need to tackle her when she's frustrated.
I've been yelling, threatening, giving time outs to Rebecca for being so rough with her sister.

While I understand that its hard for her to have to share her toys with her younger sister, it doesn't excuse her being rude or mean to Isabella.

So this morning, after yet another episode....I sent Rebecca to her room. I was so tired of this scene being played out yet again. But instead of yelling, or threatening to spank her if she did it again, I sat beside her bed and tried to see what she was seeing.

I looked her in the eye and said, "It must be tough having a little sister, eh?" She wrapped her little arms around my neck and started to cry. So I rocked her, and empathized with her, and gave words to the stuff she was feeling. "Its hard to share toys and take turns" etc.

When she was done crying, she said, "I love you mommy" and she really meant it.
She's been a different kid this morning after that.

Erica at 10:23 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home