Erica online

Tuesday, September 13

Dave and Rich...

Lately I have enjoyed reading the psalms (the "p" is silent!). When I feel overwhelmed by life, they remind me that I'm not the only one who has ever felt tossed by circumstances. I also have been enjoying listening to my Rich Mullins CD... repeatedly!

It took me about a week of reading the psalms and listening to Rich (my pet name for him) before I realized how similar the two writers were. Rich (my buddy, first name basis!) and Dave (aka King David, Major King of Israel, man with a heart after God's own heart.) I hope they don't mind the familiarity, but if they do, I'll hear about it on the "other side"!!!

Both of these artists/song writers/worshippers found their peace and solice in God. Whether times were good....and they wrote light and celebratory songs...

Dave...Psalm 98
4 Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth,
burst into jubilant song with music;
5 make music to the LORD with the harp,

with the harp and the sound of singing,
6 with trumpets and the blast of the ram's horn—

shout for joy before the LORD, the King.
7 Let the sea resound, and everything in it,

the world, and all who live in it.
8 Let the rivers clap their hands,

Let the mountains sing together for joy;
9 let them sing before the Lord,

Rich...Sing Your Praise to the Lord
Give your praise to the Lord
Come on everybody
Stand up and sing one more, "Hallelujah"
Give your praise to the Lord
I could never tell you just how much
Good that it's bound to do you
Just to sing

Or when things were hard, and they wrote intimate cries for help...

Dave...Psalm 55

1 Listen to my prayer, O God,
not ignore my plea;
2 hear me and answer me.

My thoughts trouble me and I am distraught
3 at the voice of the enemy,

at the stares of the wicked;
for they bring down suffering upon me
and revile me in their anger.
4 My heart is in anguish within me;

the terrors of death assail me.
5 Fear and trembling have beset me;

horror has overwhelmed me….
16 But I call to God,

and the LORD saves me.
17 Evening, morning and noon

I cry out in distress,
and he hears my voice.

Rich....Hold Me Jesus

And I wake up in the night and feel the dark
It's so hot inside my soul
I swear there must be blisters on my heart
So hold me Jesus, 'cause I'm shaking like a leaf
You have been King of my glory
Won't You be my Prince of Peace

They both found the same answer in good or bad circumstances. Either way, no matter how life was going, they prayed and spoke with God.

I think that this wisdom is a way for artistic people to find the stability they so desparately need. Because artists with hearts like Rich and Dave, are deeply feeling, they can be easily swayed by how circumstances make them feel.
Its like a double battle...you have to deal with the circumstances and how they make you feel.
I think this can make life overwhelming.

I'm not saying that I am artist, as there is no evidence to support to such claim. However, I think I have artistic tendencies (emotionally) and I need the same answer that Rich and Dave found to keep me stable...emotionally, mentally and any other facets that may become unbalanced.

See? I don't need therapy. I just need to take up psalm writing.
I think I just might do that!
Erica at 6:32 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home