Erica online

Saturday, February 11

Sphere of Influence...

I like to imagine that I have some influence over my children's lives. As parents we like to believe that our constant repetitions are slowly sinking into our children's hearts and minds.

This delusional fantasy is obliterated whenever I go head-to-head with my daughters.
One such incident occurred about 6 monthes ago.

We received an adorable Bugle Boy denim overalls set. It was just the right size for Rebecca and I thought she would look so cute in it. However, she refused to wear them. No matter how much I coaxed, pleaded or commanded did not matter. She was not going to wear the overalls.
Why?
Apparently overalls make you look like a boy.

I left the overalls in her drawer in the hopes that she would change her mind (she didn't).
Well, last week she came downstairs wearing the overalls and a red turtle neck!
She looked absolutely adorable (I knew she would) and I was thrilled.

I commented on how cute she looked, and how glad I was that she was wearing the outfit.
She replied, "Yes I want to wear these overalls and this shirt everyday. Its my favorite".
I was dumbfounded as she continued, "I love it because it makes me look like Zuckerman the pig farmer from Charlotte's Web."

(Besides a great deal of laughter) here is what I took from this incident:

1. Its okay to dress like a pig farmer but not to look like a boy.
2. My wisdom and advice to my children are clearly in the "suggestion" category.
3. If I wish to extend my sphere of influence over my daughters, I must have myself made into an animated video while I sing songs, dance around and talk to various animated animals.
Erica at 12:32 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home