Erica online

Monday, July 12

I was just thinking about how much fun I had at the Forks on Canada Day. I happened to be there with my aunt and cousin who had been out of Canada for quite a while, and their excitement and pride was contagious. So I thought I'd spread some Canadian pride.

(I'm also reading the History of Canada right now so Canada has been on my mind anyway, I'll share some of this fascinating information with you)

On July 1st this year, we celebrated our 137th birthday as a nation. But it was only our 54th celebration, as Canada Day didn't begin until 1950.

Here are some names of places you know and their native meanings:

Canada - big village (Iroquois)
Quebec - where the river narrows (Algonquian)
Ottawa - trader (Outaouais)
Toronto - plenty on people; to be plenty (Huron)
Niagara - at the neck (Huron)
Ontario - beautiful lake (Iroquois)
Winnipeg - muddy water (Cree/Ojibwe) & dirty water (Algonquian)
Manitoba - Great Spirit's strait (Cree)
Saskatchewan - fast flowing (Cree)

Did you know that Old Quebec City is the oldest fortified city still standing north of Mexico? Its true.

And if that didn't make you proud, here is an opportunity for you sing the national anthem and get all teary-eyed. I'll provide the words....feel free to sing along....

O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.

With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!

From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

And if that didn't do it for you. Here is something guaranteed to put a lump in your throat....do not read this if you are in an emotional upheaval, it is powerful stuff....

Hey.
I'm not a lumberjack,
or a fur trader...
and I don't live in an igloo
or eat blubber, or own a dogsled...
and I don't know Jimmy, Sally or Suzy from Canada,
although I'm certain they're really, really nice.

I have a Prime Minister,
not a President.
I speak English and French,
NOT American.
and I pronouce it ABOUT,
NOT A BOOT.

I can proudly sew my country's flag on my backpack.
I believe in peace keeping, NOT policing.
DIVERSITY, NOT assimilation,
AND THAT THE BEAVER IS A TRULY PROUD AND NOBLE ANIMAL.
A TOQUE IS A HAT,
A CHESTERFIELD IS A COUCH,
AND IT IS PRONOUCED 'ZED' NOT 'ZEE', 'ZED'!

CANADA IS THE SECOND LARGEST LANDMASS!
THE FIRST NATION OF HOCKEY!
AND THE BEST PART OF NORTH AMERICA!

MY NAME IS JOE!
AND I AM CANADIAN!

*sniff sniff*
It gets me everytime!





Erica at 7:41 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home