Erica online

Wednesday, July 21

I'm watching the news last night with my mouth agape.  I watched as the police arrested the mosquito fogging protestors, and stared wide-eyed as one protestor lost control and was put into a police car by 4 cops.
 
Am I distressed by police brutality?  Not at all.  The police were the typical portrait of Canadian Mounties, they were polite and fair, not at all excessive in the force they needed to keep their charge safe.  Cliche even.
 
I was amazed at the amount of passion this woman had about mosquito fogging.  Bugs.  Whether or not to spray for them.  Bugs. 
 
There are people starving in the street.  Children being beaten by the parents.  Millions starving to death around the world.  Corruption and waste in the government.  And this woman is screaming, wanting to be arrested and become for what cause?  Bugs.
 
For the TWO months of summer, that this is a problem, they spray pesticides to keep us from being swarmed by mosquitoes.  Apparently, the pesticides have been tested by chemists, the government and the medical community and have been deamed to be safe for people. 
 
But there is a group in the city right now who don't believe that it is safe.
 
The conspiracy theorist in me wonders, maybe they know something the government is keeping a secret from us.  Maybe "the fogging martyr" is right and we're being sprayed with "nerve toxins" as she called it.
 
The paranoid neurotic in me wonders if I should keep my children inside today because they sprayed in my area last night.
 
The sane rational voice in me (who sometimes gets heard) wonders if that woman has a little too much time on her hands.  Picture a kicking, screaming 40 year old woman screaming "Auschwitz" while being subdued by 4 polite cops.  Not a pretty site.
 
I don't know.  The world is a crazy place these days.  But in spite of her passionate display, I just can't get that excited about mosquito fogging...what's the matter with me?
 
Erica at 7:52 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home