Erica online

Wednesday, January 3

Reset Button...

Something about a New Year always feels like someone has pushed the Re-Set Button on my life. For some reason on January first I always feel very cheery. The new day and new year feel so full of potential.

People are full of hope (especially at the gym) ha ha ha. People challenge themselves to be better, to do better and make a change for the positive. I love that.

Many people think resolutions are bunk but I've always thought that intentions count for something. I want to give credit for the desire to be better even if they fail miserably on day two as I often do.

Perhaps intentions/resolutions go hand in hand with mercy. We find it hard to do what it is we want to do--if we could do it we would have been doing already in 2006, right? Yet there is something about a new beginning fills us with hope to try. That sense of potential, coupled with a new beginning can make intentions become reality.

Here is where mercy comes in. No new thing is easy. Dedication to a new way of living is challenging and human beings are imperfect. So when the resolution is broken, one must have mercy on oneself. All is not lost. I think that is when most resolutions get tossed aside.
People are not short on intentions, they are short on commitment, and afraid of failure.
(I know because I am a people!)

So my question is not what is your resolution this year...rather what is your plan for the first time you break the resolution? The second time? How will you show mercy to yourself, and try again?
How will you stay committed when you don't feel like doing it? Whatever it is?
(Of course this plan of action doesn't apply to my perfect friends...you know who you are!)

Don't be afraid of failure, count on it and have a plan in place. Nobody does it perfectly everytime. So my plan to keep my resolution this to try everyday, and when I mess it up to start again day after day until I get it right.

My resolution...
Wouldn't you like to know?


What a cheeky monkey!

Erica at 8:48 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home