Erica online

Thursday, March 15

Grass is Always Greener...

The other day Isabella heard some kids at pre-school talking about day-care.
She came home and asked me what day-care was.

I explained that is it something like when I drop her off at babysitting at the Y while I go get some exercise. The difference is that instead of staying with the other kids for one hour, she would stay with them for a whole day.

Both her and Rebecca immediately start whining, "Awwwww....why can't WE go to day-care? We want to play with other kids all day! Can we go to day-care, puuuullllleeeeezzzeee?"

Man-oh-man! You stay home to raise the kids, and take a hit financially and they want to be in day-care. I'm sure if they were in day-care, they would wish I was home to take of them.
The grass is always greener on the other side.

On the other hand, they are both very social little creatures, perhaps it is time for some part-time day-care. I think I will experiment with this over the summer, try a day-camp here and there and see what they think.

That's a good word. Experiment. Isn't that what parenting is? Trial and error.
My poor little Rebecca, well, all first children for that matter. They are the guinea pigs.
Erica at 8:26 AM

5 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

My kids started whining about daycare, too, once they started school. They just think that they're missing out on something. It's the same thing with food. My kids get home baked fresh, healthy bread, but they think they're missing out because I won't give them overprocessed Wonderbread!

9:24 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

I have two grandsons who were raised in day care . It is an unfortunate but sometimes neccessary substitute for home parenting. Also two of my children went to day care and two did not. In most cases the evidence speaks for itself. I wish I had been able to be a stay at home mom for all of them and perhaps, just perhaps their lives would be different. There is a huge difference in Anneka and Aila and the grandchildren who were mostly raised by others. On the other hand there are the cases where day care is actually a better environment than the home situation. This is just my own experience.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Ron said...

mmmmm... Wonderbread!

7:19 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

Dearest Rick,
I am not a mother but I still have very fond and vivid memories of being a child. My experience is that B&B will appreciate that you were home with them when they are older and will understand the sacrifices.
I continue to learn more about the things that my parents did for me when I was young and continue to do. That only child card plays out my whole life.... :-)

10:56 AM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

I'm with Vanessa. I can think of all kinds of things my parents did 20 years ago that I only appreciate now. And they still haven't heard me express my appreciation. For shame!

Hopefully your girls will be better than me on that point.

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home