Erica online

Monday, March 5

Manitoba Gives...

When I was away at a seminar for work, the welcoming comments were given by a Manitoba politician. He said that Manitoba was one of the most generous provinces in Canada.

When he said that, it really stuck with me...Manitoba is not a "have" province. We have a higher proportion of people living here on social assistance and disablility because of the lower cost of living and yet we are one of the most generous.

Then I thought - how is he measuring that? What is his definition of generous?
So being curious in nature, I phoned his office and asked what he was basing that statement on, and they put me through to the person in his office who wrote his speech for him.

Here is the proof according to Stats Canada and the Frasier Institute:

1. Manitoba has the second highest distribution of volunteers. Only Saskatchewan is higher.
Which means that Manitobans are more likely to volunteer than in other provinces.
2. When it comes to giving donations to charities Manitoba has the second highest average in the country (second only to Ontario). The national average for giving is $259 per person per year. And in Manitoba it is $383 per Manitoban.

Those are pretty impressive statements about Manitoba. Manitobans are more likely to volunteer our time and give our money than other places in Canada even though financially it would seem we have less to give in the first place.

That makes me proud to be from Manitoba. Even if I am freezing my ass off. I have friendly neighbours and a government who appears to care about those who are in need.
Yay!
Erica at 11:26 AM

6 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

Not just time and money. Apparently we're also willing to donate our asses to the cold!

8:30 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Wait.. would that be frozen assets or frozen asses?....

8:31 PM  
Blogger Carol-Ann Allen said...

Oh that "cindy" has got me rollin' on the floor with laughter! Thanks for sharing your funny thought!

Way t' go Manitoba!

7:47 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

Cindy,
Really its a win-win situation for Manitobans.
When we freeze our asses off, our jeans fit better.
Everybody wins!

funny girl!
(you not me)

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You all make me laugh :) The last time I was in Manitoba was in 1984. I was travelling through with a song and dance group. It wasn't cold then but it was early in the year. I loved the trees and even the rain.

Sorry it soooo cold right now. I am currently residing in Albuquerque, NM. We live at 6,500 ft. above sea level at the base of a mountain. The snow comes and dumps on the other side. If we ever get snow and that is a big if it dumps and is gone by lunch.

Have a great day

12:54 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

Totally believable - I'm so glad that I spent 10 years growing up in the Peg.

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home