Erica online

Sunday, January 30

Starving Artists....

I've been thinking recently about artists, artistic expression, creativity etc...

Our church has a lot of artistic people and there tends to be some emotional depth that comes with these types of people. (WARNING--gross generalization!) Anywho...I really like this depth and tend to click easily with artists even though
1- I am not an artist
2- they are often guarded
3 - they are sometimes socially retarded
and 4 - I am socially retarded (which may be why we click so well together as we stumble through a conversation)

The typical view of the artistic person (as I add to the stereo-type with my generalizing) is that they are tortured people. They struggle for perfection in expressing truth as they understand it, through whatever medium they choose for their art. There is the frustration of imperfect expression coupled with the pain of misinterpretation of their art. Add in sensitivity and you have the ingredients for severe emotional damage and insecurity. Those who continue to strive for excellence in their chosen art form in spite of these difficulties are truly brave. So artists are often starving, even if they have enough food to eat....

......Now let me zoom out to a global perspective for a moment....what happens to artist people in third world countries? Where people are literally starving, and survival is the highest concern, what becomes of potential artists. Do sensitive, artistic people lose the ability to create or does it just lay dorment while they tend to the needs of their physical body. Or more likely, is art irrelevant to a starving human?

......Zooming back into my little world. The place where I grew up was an artisitic desert. No dance, painting, music lessons, no poetry or even movies (arguable an artform). Moving to Winnipeg was a huge opening up of artistic ideas, and opportunities for me.
Yes, Winnipeg!
side note - ironically thought of by much of the country as a bunch of banjo-pickin', red-neck, freaks of nature was a mecca of creativity for me---with many new opportunities for growth

When I see art performed with excellence, there is what can only be described as passionate excitement that jumps inside me. Dance, painting, music, beauty in all its forms is a new world which I to join, and experiment with my own expression! (Which, unfortunately I am ill-equipt to do!)

As I near thirty I am took a ballet class....what an experience. Its a world I've nearly missed but who knows....maybe I'll learn to be a world class ballet connoisseur!


Erica at 1:54 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home