Erica online

Thursday, June 1

May I See Some I.D.???

Most tribes and nations around the earth have certain naming ceremonies when a child is born, some when a child is conceived. Some cultures have more than one time in a person's life when a person receives a name. Usually the ritual involves some thought as to the child's personality, identity in the tribe or purpose in life.

The names that are given are also rich in meaning, they are not just words on a certificate to distinguish one person from another. Remember 'Dances with Wolves'? Every person had a name that described an attribute of their personality, it meant something and held a piece of their identity.

How about this?
Genesis 17:15, 16
'God also said to Abraham, "As for Sarai, your wife you are no longer to call her Sarai; her name will be Sarah. I will bless her and surely give you a son by her. I will bless her so that she will be the mother of nations; kings of peoples will come from her."'

Sarai - means quarrelsome in Hebrew
Sarah- means my princess in Hebrew (that's quite a step up from Sarai)

God made a promise to give some serious purpose to Sarah's life, and not only that, He changed her name so that everybody who ever met her would verbally announce a part of that divine purpose.
Everytime she met someone new and they said, "Hello Sarah", they were actually saying, "Hello My Princess". Daily reminders of who she was to God, and of her purpose on earth.
That should make a person feel valuable, no? (Actually no, she laughed and said "yeah right! I'm too old to have a baby).

Wouldn't it be cool to be named something that:
a) was ordained by God (and therefore accurate in terms of your true identity)
b) reflected who you are to others
c) helped you understand your own identity

I looked up the meaning for Erica. There are various meanings listed - Ruler, Rules Forever, Royal or Honorable Ruler.

Many days I'm just like Sarah, I say "Yeah right! As if that's who I am! Maybe my parents got it wrong. How could I be worthy of such a name?" Do I just need a deeper understanding of what my name means? Do I not understand my purpose in life? Do I need a new name?

Lately it seems the answer to any question I have is just another question...what do YOU think of me God?
Erica at 1:23 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home