Erica online

Monday, October 23

Responsible Adult Stuff...

Tomorrow there will be some adult stuff going on in Winnipeg.
Its election time.

(aside- kind of ironic that I associate elections with being an adult thing when many of the things the politicians are doing and saying are actually quite childish!!!)

I have set aside some time this morning to read all the platforms for the trustees in my ward, and the city councillors in my district. I want to make an informed decision and be responsible with my right to participate in the election.

Interestingly, I was thinking about what has been in the news (mostly American) lately about media management. (another aside - media management is actually a part of the grade nine curriculum in Manitoba so its not really new information per se)

It seems that Americans are stunned that their media sources can not be trusted. Shocking!
Can you imagine that there are people who want them to vote a certain way and will sway the stories to that end? Unfathomable.

Perhaps something to consider as I read my paper's version of each of the candidate's goals and promises. Perhaps they never said that, perhaps they have been misquoted. Can I trust what I am reading? I think I can since its the Herald (local area paper that is free) and I don't think they have ties to any major political party. No hidden agenda that I can detect, although you never know.

So here is the question of the day:
When it comes to voting, if you can't trust the media; (from which you get all your information about the candidates) on what should you rely when making your decisions?
Instinct?
Prayer?
Chance? Roll the dice and whoever gets the highest shake wins my vote.
Erica at 8:28 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home