Erica online

Saturday, October 21

Tellin' Like It Is...

I posted the other day about my kids being honest, and Deanna asked if there was a story behind the post. Good question Deanna, actually there is.

Awhile ago, I read my kids the story of Mary and Martha. For those who are not familiar with this tale, the basic idea is the following:

Martha was a type-A personality and I'm guessing a bit of a perfectionist. The two sisters were expecting company and Martha was going mental trying to get all the cleaning done, and prepare all the food for their guests. Her sister, Mary was not feeling driven to work, work, work. Mary loved being around Jesus and listening to him teach and talking with him. So basically, Martha gets pissed off and asks Jesus to give her a little justice ---"Hellllooooo!!! I'm doing all the work here, Mary just sitting on her butt. While you're chattin' it up with her, would you mind telling her to help me out a little?"
Rather than take her side, Jesus said that Mary was in the right. She didn't choose to be distracted by the details, but rather chose to spend her time in the search of truth and being friends with Jesus, which is a higher calling.

(biblical scholars can forgive my liberty with the scriptures or not, whatever, I don't care)

Both of my girls right away understood the meaning behind the story. They both said, I'm gonna be like Mary, she was kind, she was gentle etc.

A short while later, Isabella said to me, "You know soemthing sad mommy? You're a Martha."
She then gave me a big hug.

The words hit me like a ton of bricks. Since I started working again, I've been working, working working. When I'm not in a meeting, on the phone or computer, I'm cleaning, washing or cooking something. I'm not particularly peaceful or thoughtful as I try to fit everything into the hours that I am awake.

Her honesty and sadness have quite the impact on me.
Since she said that, I slowed right down. I've spent time reading to my kids again, listening to music, making rice krispie squares and generally just playing. My kitchen is a mess, it may stay that way today. I've invited the girl's cousins over to have a lego party! I'm making room for joy and life and being with friends.

I hope my daughters learn from my mistakes and always live life with a higher calling.
Erica at 11:07 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home