Erica online

Thursday, May 17

Back to the Drawing Board...

I've been away from my regularly scheduled life since Tuesday morning.
There is a three day training on managing volunteers (but also applies to staff) that
I was attending.
The content was on how to motivate, direct, recruit, train, encourage, evaluate, manage, supervise, and failing that...fire...people!

It was alot of information in a little space of time so my brain is pooped out!
I've learned what I'm doing well in my job and where I could improve.

Many of my friends came to mind as we discussed the different topics. I would think "oh this friend is good at that" or "that person would really like to hear about this topic".
Some examples:
The best workshop faciliators have high energy and humor- Rebecca came to mind.
Good teachers can relate the material to their own personal stories- Yvonne does that well.
Setting the tone of a meeting can be done by preparing the environment with attention to detail, like snacks and decorations -Lynne always does a good job of this.
Trainers need to read the room, get a sense of the audience, and train according to the ability of the workshop attendees - my mom is a marvel at this skill.
I know Vanessa does a great job of managing people and encouraging them so her co-workers always appreciate her!
My sister Cheryl was on my mind a lot as she is quite amazing in all the areas we studied. She can motivate anyone to do anything! She is always professional, and innovative in her approach. Many of the skills come so naturally to her that she thinks they are common sense, but they are not. She's just really amazing at what she does.

I know many amazing women and I'm not sure how often any of them hear how impressive they truly are...so you read it here first...these are some incredible women!
Erica at 5:34 PM

6 Comments:

Blogger Yvonne Parks said...

Awww...you are too sweet!

But what about you? I think you do most of the above....and you're frickin hysterical.

Did DJ tell you that I called as soon as the house sold?????? Did he give you the message like a good husband? Or shall I send him bad thoughts and a bag of flaming poo?

12:39 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

Flaming poo not required.
He told me that you called and told me the great news!
Hooray!!!

7:27 AM  
Blogger Deanna Momtchilov said...

I agree!

1:02 PM  
Blogger Lynne said...

You are always thinking of others. One of your many gifts is the gift of encouragement. Thank you so much for mentioning me. (*grining from ear to ear shyishly*)

7:19 PM  
Blogger Jude said...

Good observations.

Curious about the motivating people. I recently read an author whose viewpoint is that motivation is a non-issue if you hire the right people - the ones who are naturally motivated.

11:44 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

Judi,
There was also a section about hiring, interviewing and training in this course. The facilitator said that the match between the job and the employee is key. If its not the right match, then the person will not be motivated to do it. But it is true that if you can find and hire naturally motivated people (my sister) then motivating them is a non-issue!
In fact, they will motivate others as well.

7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home