Erica online

Sunday, February 6

I can't hear you....

Does anyone else out there have a passive-aggressive child? One of those kids (with selective hearing) who is not outwardly defiant but still isn't listening?

Isabella is a genius at finding new and creative ways to not fully cooperate with me. Its not direct disobedience but its not exactly compliance either.

She has refused to participate in potty training, or even talk about potty training. It seems we're at cross purposes, so I thought I'd create an opportunity for us to be on the same side of the problem and work at it together. (Conflict resolution training in action!)

I explained to her that I had a problem, and would she help me with it?
"Sure!!"--- She always loves to be mommy's helper.

I explained that I have a little girl named Isabella who is too big for diapers but she can't wear panties because she pees in them. This little girl needs to learn to use the potty so she can wear panties, so what should I do?

Isabella looked at me pensively, thought for awhile and then picked up her headless barbie doll.
She said, "Look mom, this dolly is broken. I have a problem."
(Classic avoidance and re-direct)

So I re-directed her re-direct, "we're not talking about the barbie doll right now, we're talking about my problem with my little Isabella girl".
She replied, "But mom, this problem is serious!"

After I stopped laughing and re-capitated the barbie, she decided that Isabella should try to wear panties and use the potty.

My strategy worked, with a few side-trails here and there. Its tough keeping up with a brilliant, passive-aggressive, re-directing, little imp!
But its good for a laugh!
Erica at 7:38 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home