Erica online

Thursday, February 10

Ice-Adventures...

Last night I was helping out a girl's youth program who needed adult drivers to take the girls to harborview. I haven't ice-skated in years but I thought, what harm could it do?

I strapped on the ol' skates and away I went, skating with the girls. Chasing each other, watching the stars, playing games etc. It was loads of fun! Until.....

We were skating towards all the edges of the pond, I was going towards one of the outer edges when CRACK....SPLASH!!! (Not good sounds when one is ice-skating on a pond).

I did not fall through the ice, but there was a section where the ice was very thin and just below it was about 3 inches of ice-water....an ice puddle below the ice, which I found!
If you've ever skated, you know that as you pick up speed you lean forward. And if you've ever tried to skate on water, you'd know that water doesn't have the same sliding properties as ice.

So.....my body was going forward while my feet were not. Splash!

The girls were very helpful, as soon as they saw me go down, all twenty of them went screaming and skating as fast they could in the other direction. Cold, wet, chaos!!!

Luckily, I didn't go right through the ice, as I would have died of hypothermia before the girls could explain to an adult what had happened.
Ahhhhh.....the glorious hysteria of adolescence.

But it turned out okay, the water only soaked through the first two layers of clothes completely, and I was wearing four layers! Did I mention I HATE being cold? But that was the end of my skating adventure. I'll try again next year.
Erica at 10:19 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home