Erica online

Saturday, December 3

What If Its Not About ME???

This past week I've been thinking about the parable of the prodigal son while I cleaned.
My thoughts are my own and not necessarily theologically sound. But meditating on the Bible is something that is theologically sound so I figure its okay to blog about my thoughts without being a stumbling block to people.

1. The Prodigal - I identify with this guy alot! I love the idea that no matter how bad I mess up (and I know I do) I can still be loved. I mean really bad mess ups!
-This guy practically disowned his own father, then went against everything his dad ever said and still his father loved him.
-That makes me less neurotic about my mistakes of the past and potential failures of the future!

2. The Older Son - I identify with this guy too! I am often really proud of how hard I try to do what is right. I mean really hard work!
-This guy did everything he was supposed to do and worked his butt off and for what, so his punk-brother could come home and get a reward that he never got--what is that???
-That me angry about all the time and energy I put into getting everything right.

So here is what I was thinking this week:
What if the story is not about me? What if it doesn't matter if I screw up or do well? What if the sons behaviour wasn't the point of the story?
What if the difference was really in their assumption about their father's character?

Here is what I mean:

Why did the prodigal go home?
He knew he had messed up badly, he certainly knew he had lost his position as a son but he figured his dad was a kind man who treated his servants well. He thought he could get better treatment at home as a servant. He assumed that overall his dad was forgiving enough to take him as a servant even though, he wasn't even worthy of that.
On his way home, he did not expect to be treated as a son and celebrated--he had no idea HOW much his father truly loved him--so it wasn't for reward that he went home.
The trek was just based on the assumption that his father had a good heart and would give him a servant position. He knew his dad well enough to know that he wouldn't be whipped or killed for trying to come back, it shows he had some sort of relationship with his dad that would lead to a positive assumption about his dad's character.

Why was the older son angry?
When he asked why he had to work so hard and never got to party, his dad said, "you're always here and everything I have is yours."
As it turned out, he could have been partying and enjoying the fruit of his labour for years but he assumed that wasn't what his father wanted. So basically he spent years living like a servant when he actually had access to all the resources in his home but never used them.
He was still trying to earn what he already had because he assumed this is what would please his dad. He assumed that his dad didn't want him to celebrate with his friends, but that wasn't actually true. This says to me that he didn't have a strong relationship with his dad, if he didn't know him well enough to use what he had rightfully earned.

My conclusion based on these thoughts?
Maybe that was the point that Jesus was trying to make when he told this story.
Its not your behaviour that matters but your relationship with God that matters.
When I know Him and assume that He wants good things for me, that He celebrates me, and loves me unconditionally---I behave differently than someone who is trying to earn favor.

This something I know intuitively but the point doesn't always make it into my brain department where it can influence my thoughts on God. I must remember that I have access to everything the father owns and stop trying to get things that I already have.
It has been my experience in the last that I am receiving more than I feel I deserve anyway so there must be a reason for it.
I think I just caught on to the reason, and it only took me A YEAR to figure out! Yay me!
Erica at 8:49 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home