Erica online

Tuesday, September 23

Today, I am pontificating about romance.

I was thinking about what romance really is. It seems in romantic movies and books, there is always something of a sacrifice that someone has to make in order to be with the one they love. That is our cultural idea of romance. Love at a cost.

This lines up the with The Great Romance, we are being wooed to God and our redemption to be bought back came at a great cost.
(Wow! That was a lot of Christianese in one sentence.)

I do think that all the great love stories have some element of sacrifice in them.
But as I was thinking about this, I thought of all the romantic movies I've seen lately. In almost all of them, the romantic part of the story involved the sacrifice of money. Someone gives up a dream job, someone gives up a contract, someone buys someone their dream vacation or house etc. So, has our social idea of romance become so linked with love, that we can't separate the two?

My challenge for myself today is to think of something romantic to do for my husband that costs no money. Seriously, think about it.
Its hard to think of things we would consider (traditionally) romantic that cost no money. Especially to think of something romantic that I would like, that costs nothing is nearly impossible, I'm shamefully materialistic. (I like pretty things)

And just to prove that I am the closet geek I claim to be, here is the definition of romance according to the dictionary. (Don't read it if you don't want to, but I think its interesting!)

Romance:
n.

A love affair.
Ardent emotional attachment or involvement between people; love: They kept the romance alive in their marriage for 35 years.
A strong, sometimes short-lived attachment, fascination, or enthusiasm for something: a childhood romance with the sea.
A mysterious or fascinating quality or appeal, as of something adventurous, heroic, or strangely beautiful: “These fine old guns often have a romance clinging to them” (Richard Jeffries).

A long medieval narrative in prose or verse that tells of the adventures and heroic exploits of chivalric heroes: an Arthurian romance.
A long fictitious tale of heroes and extraordinary or mysterious events, usually set in a distant time or place.
The class of literature constituted by such tales.

An artistic work, such as a novel, story, or film, that deals with sexual love, especially in an idealized form.
The class or style of such works.
A fictitiously embellished account or explanation: We have been given speculation and romance instead of the facts.
Music. A lyrical, tender, usually sentimental song or short instrumental piece.
Romance The Romance languages.

Erica at 8:44 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home