Erica online

Tuesday, September 16

I was thinking about some of the current "jargon" that the new generaton of youth is using. "Keep it real", "Stay real" etc....and the new emphasis on reality t.v
(yuck!)

Yet when I walk through a mall, I wonder at the meaning of "real". Teenage girls all look exactly the same. The body shape of celery with their gitch hanging out of their low riser jeans.

(Now I sound like some old lady complaining about all the young hoodlums in the neighbourhood---I know, that every generation of teens has to "fit in"{that's the point of being a teenager} and so they always end up with the same "look")

So what's different this time? This time fitting in requires you to be REAL and yet nothing has changed in terms of the rules of teenage life. (Aside from the new rule ---"Don't trust anyone over 25" but that's a whole different blog!)
If teens are still conforming to fit in but in the name of being REAL, how will they know what is REALLY real? Will there be any individuality in the next generation?

I don't know, these are just musings...maybe working at the teen drop-in really has made me into that old complaining lady who wants all those punks put in boot camp.
Hmmm, I'll think about that later, I have to go eat my metamucil and prunes now.
Erica at 9:17 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home