Erica online

Sunday, November 7

A Delicate Balance...

Lately, I've been noticing a theme in my life.....
(Yes! my life can have a theme! My life is a novel and I am the main character. Its a little slow in the beginning but I'm sure it'll pick up near the middle and be really exciting at the end!!! If I look real hard maybe I even have a metaphor in my house somewhere...but I digress......)

I've been noticing a need for BALANCE in many areas of my life. As if there are various sections of my life which require my energy. If one or more of those areas is out of kilter then so am I.
Here are some examples to express what I'm trying to say more clearly....

  1. Work - do I clean my house until its done, or do I play with my kids? Where is the line of acceptable cleanliness for my home and when am I ignoring/spoiling my kids?
  2. Food - when is it ok to give into tiredness and eat fast food, and when is it too much and I need to expend more energy on cooking healthy meals and organizing the menu?
  3. Kids - when do I require respect, and need to discipline my kids? When do I need to repect their individualism and grant them more freedom? Control or let go?
  4. Money - When I am being "frugal" out of fear and faithlessness (ie spirit of poverty) and when am I spending too much out of greed or fear of not having later?
  5. Emotions - When am I too dictated by how I am feeling in the moment? When am I repressing stuff that should be said or dealt with?
  6. Social Interation - What is a healthy respect for someone and when does it cross the line into insecurity? When does confidence cross the line into pride?
  7. Exercise - When am I motivated by a desire for a healthy body and at what point does being thin become an idol?
  8. Mental Health - When I am relaxing by watching t.v. and when am I escaping into a vegatative state? Too muchTeletubbies will melt the brain cells quicker than weed!
  9. Spiritual Health - When I am seeking the perspective of God and when am I losing my grip on the world I live in right now, and losing my relevance to the real world? I want to be able to relate to people outside of a church setting.
  10. General Life - While raising my kids, when is it ok to play and when do I need to be the responsible adult person?
(You see the theme? 10 examples ought to do it! ha! ha! ha!)

I don't feel like this is a big guilt, or fear thing. I don't feel like I have to get everything right, just that I need to find the balance in these areas of my life for ME! I'm not going to go "shoulding" all over myself when there is an unbalanced area(s) of my life! Yet it is something I am trying to examine and understand. What is healthy for me?

Its like God is the sound-man at the church. The great equalizer of my life. Adjusting all the knobs and buttons until my life fits the conditions in which I will thrive. So I gone on searching for balance (which is really truth I guess) in each of the areas of my life and balance between all these areas....where do I put my energy?

The search goes on.....


Erica at 3:12 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home