Erica online

Friday, January 19

Weekend

Well, its almost the weekend again and I could not be more pleased! This has been another crazy week. I haven't had time to blog, which is probably good as my thoughts would most likely have been disjointed with all that I've had on my mind.

There is one thing that has stayed with me for the last couple of days that was said at a work meeting. I'd been wanting to post it, to see what the wise people in my life (you know who you are) have to say about it.

Now I expect all the people who read this post to comment because you may not think you are wise, but how do you know if I think you are wise or not? Perhaps I think you are wise, and am awaiting your input whilst you grapple with your insecurities! ha ha

Here it what was said in the meeting:

We were discussing variables in the stages of adolscense that make programming for youth difficult. Most of the topics centered around teens searching for independence, needing a sense of ownership to buy in, while still needing to feel secure in the staff so they felt safe enough to attend. A bit of a catch-22. The need to believe that adults are a source of safety/knowledge/guidance while attempting to find their own power/independence.

Then someone in the meeting said, "That is why I think fundamentalist Christians act like children. They have a need to see God as a father because they feel unsafe in the world without the idea of a big parent in the sky watching over them. That's why they love rules so much, because then they feel like there is something bigger than them so if they just do what the rules say, then everything will be okay. They never grow up or gain independence."

When she said it, I was stunned. I couldn't believe that someone would actually say that and yet she did, and I just sat there dumbfounded. It really struck something in me. Not my faith. That was unmoved because I there is a God because I know that I know that I know in my knower but something about what she said reaked of truth. That bothered me.

I spent every spare moment since Wednesday thinking about how much of that statement was true, and how much of it was just someone who was angry at the church and at God.

Alright wise ones...what do you think?
Erica at 8:39 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home