Erica online

Friday, June 22

Bureaucracy Sucks!

Bureaucracy is a big stupid waste of time, paper, energy and money. It gets in the way of good intentions in favor of the fear that something bad could happen.
It probably won't but just in case.
Oh, and let's not forget the fear that we might offend someone with slightly more status or power than us in the association or company we work for.
Fear is such a useless waste of energy.

It annoys me. Very much. Fear is like a big, ugly mosquito. Harassing, threatening but really can do little more than a tiny pinch.
But in the hands of bureaucratic policy makers that mosquito should be taken very seriously.

What if that mosquito should bite and you get West Nile Virus? Or malaria? We need to make a policy around such horrible risks. What if a child should be bitten on the eyeball and blinded for life? What if? What if? What if?

What horror! Let's write a policy that all children should be bathed in bug spray, draped in moquito netting and wrapped in bubble wrap to keep them all safe from the malaria-ridden, west-nile carrying, blood-thirsty, blinding mosquito pandemic that will overtake us all!!!
Quickly! Write a policy that will save us all!

Fear is stupid. Bureaucracy is stupid.
That's all I have to say about that.
Erica at 2:48 PM

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me see if I've got this straight. Your statements were a little vague and hidden. Were you trying to let us know that YOU were upset with fear creates slow moving bureaucracy?? Be more CLEAR nest time
Mom

11:04 AM  
Blogger Jude said...

When I have worked for gov't I was often annoyed by how slow a simple process of creating a document became because virtually everyone had to weigh in on it before it got published. Of course, they had way better things to do with their time and so would wait months before actually giving their feedback, but forbid that we should go ahead and publish without their feedback (which were usually a combination of bad ideas that were new and bad ideas that we had rejected in the process months ago).

I read the book "Joy at Work" by Dennis Bakke. He and his partner set out to create a company where people enjoyed working and felt their contributions were meaningful. Eliminating much of the power structure was a key to both joy and effectiveness.

9:17 AM  
Blogger Deanna Momtchilov said...

what inspired this rant? (i agree, btw)

4:07 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

Deanna,
Just red tape at work. People worried about bothering other people or not following the chain of command because they were afraid of upsetting the powers that be. In the process, their fear was making them hesitate about doing what they knew was right because of fear of people.

6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got DJ's message...cherry pepsi right?
get on facebook,man, then you could have wrote on my wall.
Can you ask Sian to check her wall...Brooke sent her an email and we want to know what size Zane wears.
you can email me, I forget your email address

9:32 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

fear bad. amen

2:31 PM  
Blogger Jo's-D-Eyes said...

Erica,
I saw your blog on (my family) Yvonne's, Lynne's, and Rebecca's etc, so I see you that often, that I visited yours too....

I really like and enjoy reading your blog, its a very good one..!

I agree with you... I hate bureaucracy, its such a waste.

Please feel free to visit my blogger and to comment if you feel like, its fine with me.

JoAnn

8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home