Erica online

Sunday, June 10

Wonderful Weekend

We just returned from a highly enjoyable weekend at the cottage. I am quite pink, and freckled and I have a bit of heat rash on my shoulders. It was hot and sunny, just the way I like it!
(I wore a 30 SPF sunblock for anyone who is about to call the skin cancer police on me!)

On Saturday my husband and girls and I spent most of the day on the water. We canoed to a deserted beach. Bella ran around in just her panties which she thought was thrilling as it seemed quite rebellious to her! She jumped off rocks, and swam in the waves.

Rebecca would not dream of such indecency. She did jump off the rocks into the water, but she kept her shirt, skirt and sun hat on properly the entire time. She also did not swim in her attire as it was not her swimsuit, and she was not about to get her pretty flower skirt dirty! Isabella took the opportunity to chase her down the beach with sand all over her, threatening to get her dirty. It was fun to watch them tease each other.

We picnicked on the beach. The girls hunted for treasure and had quite a haul. They brought back a sand pail containing baby clam shells, cray fish claws, snail shells and various shiny rocks. My husband and I had to look at each item, and I think we showed the appropriate level of excitement as the girls seemed to think they had found priceless heirlooms.

They hunted for bear paw prints on the beach. They found bear tracks multiple times which turned out to be their own footprints but for the sake of the thrill, we did not correct them.
It was a lovely adventure.

In addition to time on our own beach, they played with all their cabin friends up the road, and in our back yard. We took them on a 3km trail walk this afternoon, we went to the playstructure, ate ice-cream, and spent the rest of the day at the beach swimming and playing sailor in the rubber dingy.
Needless to say, they are exhausted. They are nicely tanned, bug-bitten, woodtick-free (we checked), freshly bathed and sleeping soundly. As we got them into their pj's tonight, Rebecca sighed and said, "Mommy, I have the perfect life."

I don't know about perfect but after a spring of endless rainy days, a couple of days of sunshine sure does bring a new sense of joy. The sun brings that exciting, tense, dangerous heat that we've missed all winter. I am ready to soak it in.
Mr. Sun. Sun. Mr. Golden Sun. Please Shine Down on Me!!
Erica at 9:46 PM

2 Comments:

Blogger Lynne said...

There is nothing like a hot day in at the cabin and in the water to tire out those beautiful girls of yours. This weekend was awesome, wasn't it?!

10:54 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

What a fantastic weekend you and the girls have had.....obviously - jealousy will get me nowhere! I am glad you had such a good time.

1:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home